1. COOKING TEAM: Each cooking team entered will be limited to a maximum of three (3) people, aged 18 years or older. As part of the entry fee paid, the three (3) members of the cooking team will be allowed in free to the Chili Cookoff. Wristbands for those three (3) team members will be provided. Any extra people associated with each team must pay the price of admission upon entry.
2. STRICTLY SCRATCH: (Total of 11 gallons of chili) If entering the “Strictly Scratch” division, 1 gallon of chili must be cooked on-site the day of the Chili Cookoff. “Scratch” being defined as starting with raw meat. Regular commercial chili powder is permissible, but complete commercial chili mixes are not permitted this will be strictly enforced. Pre-cooked or canned beans are permissible. All chili will be prepared out in the open for the “Strictly Scratch” division. No rice, pasta, hominy or fillers of any type will be accepted for the “Strictly Scratch” division. Thickeners such as corn meal, flour, etc., are permissible.*
The remaining 10 gallons of chili can either be cooked on-site or at home, partially or fully; and are permitted to use commercial chili mixes and fillers. Each “Strictly Scratch” team is expected to dispense their chili to the public after the judging samples have been collected. "Strictly Scratch" division entries are automatically eligible for the "People's Choice" division and are considered contenders for the People's Choice Award.
3. PEOPLE’S CHOICE: (Total of 10 gallons of chili) People’s Choice entries can either be cooked on-site or at home, partially or fully. People’s Choice entries ONLY are permitted to use commercial chili mixes and fillers for their chili. They will be judged in the “People’s Choice” category only. “Strictly Scratch” division entries are automatically eligible for the “People’s Choice” division and are considered contenders for the People’s Choice Award.
4. SANITARY MANNER: All cooking is to be done in a sanitary manner. These conditions are subject to inspection by the judging committee and/or members of the GRAND OL' CHILI COOKOFF committee. Failure to comply is subject to disqualification for that team. Upon disqualification, all cooking ingredients and cooking utensils must be immediately removed from the premises. No pets are allowed in the cooking area.*
5. INGREDIENTS, UTENSILS & ACCESSORIES: Each team will provide all ingredients, utensils and accessories necessary to cook their chili. This includes water for cooking, tables for food preparation and cook stoves and fuel. We do not provide electrical power for cooking purposes. *
6. CUPS: Official serving cups will be provided by the Chili Cookoff committee for dispensing chili to the public for tasting for the “People’s Choice” competition. Only these cups are allowed.
7. JUDGED (“STRICTLY SCRATCH”) COMPETITION: A team member will be responsible for attending the 7:30 am meeting day of event with cookoff officials. The team is responsible for cooking one (1) gallon of chili the morning of the cookoff. Approximately one (1) cup of will be collected from that gallon of chili. The team captain is responsible for his/her cup.
8. COOKING SAFETY: All cooking must be performed at the rear of the booths. This is a safety precaution in order to avoid the possibility of accidental burnings.*
9. GREASE DISPOSAL: All grease from cooking must be disposed of properly. Do not put grease directly into trashcans or into port-a-lets. *
10. TEAM REQUIREMENT: Cooking teams shall remain at their booths and serve chili to the public from 11 am to 2 pm, until all their chili has been dispensed and/or the Chili Cookoff has officially closed. *
11. MINIMUM REQUIREMENT: "Strictly Scratch must cook a MINIMUM OF 11 GALLONS of chili. Teams entering "People's Choice" ONLY, must cook a MINIMUM of 10 GALLONS of chili. However, the more the better! *
12. NO MERCHANDISING OF ANY KIND BY CONTESTANTS WILL BE PERMITTED.*
* IMPORTANT— FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE RULES WITH AN ASTERICK (*) APPLYING TO “STRICTLY SCRATCH” WILL DISQUALIFY THE ENTRY FROM THE JUDGED DIVISION OF THE COMPETITION, HOWEVER, YOU WILL STILL BE INCLUDED IN THE “PEOPLE’S CHOICE” COMPETITION.
• STRICTLY SCRATCH
Contestants must comply with the ELIGIBILTY RULES as outlined. Judging criteria and scoring are based on a single score taking into account five (5) criteria for Strictly Scratch:
• PEOPLE’S CHOICE
To be determined by popular vote. Each paying consumer of the Chili Cookoff will be given a ballot upon admission. Participants will be allowed to place their vote for their favorite chili in a ballot box designated “People’s Choice Award.” The ballots will be counted by the committee one half hour prior to the award ceremony.
Showmanship judges must remain anonymous to everyone during the judging. Showmanship judging criteria and scoring are based on a single score taking into account five (5) criteria for showmanship:
There is a limited amount of booth space. A completed entry form with payment must be mailed to Friends of the Fork, Inc., P.O. Box 104, Franklin, TN 37065 no later than October 10th. After that time, an additional $10 will be added to the fees, if there is available booth space. Check should be made payable to the Friends of the Fork, Inc.